10.2.10

Three Terrific Ties

            In a previous post of mine I talked about the importance of a nice tie, as well as my love of 30's and 40's ties, so I pulled out my favorite tie as well as two new purchases that I made while shopping with Bee this past weekend. The first is from the early-to-mid 1940's and is made of either rayon or a silk-cotton blend, and the tag on the back says, "Quality necktie, styled by Brophey". It has a very fun design that reminds me of the youth jazz culture of the time. I saw this tie for the first time a couple months before actually purchasing it, this tie always caught my eye and I found it to be fun and playful, yet I didn't commit to buying it until I went shopping with Bee and felt like I should at least buy a tie (as she had already bought 3 bags worth of treasures).

            Though after sifting through the ties on the rack in one of my regular vintage haunts, I found another tie that caught my fancy. This one I would hazard to guess is from the mid-to-late 1940's, and is made of a very nice silk with a painted pattern on it. As well as a brilliant luster and an interwoven pattern that really stands out when the light catches it. This one is "Styled By Gentry".

            Lastly on this post I would like to share my favorite tie of my collection. This tie has similar contruction qualities of the previous one, yet I would say this one is from the late 1930's - early 40's. This tie is in mint condition and shows no wear at all. It is made of extraordinarily nice silk.
 
            The reasons I love this tie is its simple yet extremely attractive geometric design on the front, its wonderful color, and how it has a separate hand painted series of lines that goes where the knot is tied. This tie is absolutely gorgeous, I love how the knot has a separate design than the face, I love the interwoven diamonds in the fabric, I love the luster of the silk, and I love how it makes any outfit pop. The only thing that is a minor frustration for me is that there is no point in wearing a vest with this tie, and I love wearing vests. Wearing a vest with this tie is like putting a tarp over the Mona Lisa, pointless, this tie is meant to be seen.

          This tie is made by the "Washington Shirt co." and is hand painted, you can see the horizontal lines of the knot in this picture. "But how much did these ties cost?" you may ask, well, less than a new tie today. Some moderately attractive ties today can cost up to $65 or more. The first two ties cost $5 each, and my favorite tie cost a mere $15! This is just another piece of evidence that supports my philosophy of "You don't need to spend a lot to look like you did".

No comments:

Post a Comment