3.2.10

The Misconceptions of Mens Fashion

            There are many elements to male attire that the majority of people do not fully understand. I will begin my maiden post by first clarifying some misconceptions that men have on getting "dressed up". First I must stress to men that it is not hard to get dressed up! All that you need to do is expand your knowledge of fashion history. This will not be like history class, the usefull thing about past fashion is that pretty much every man looked good and comfortable in their clothes. Today we see a huge variety of clothing styles, personally I love diversity, but to those men who dress just plain slovenly, this is for you. I hope that this can help those who want to be helped and maybe encourage those with a passion to dress well to keep to it!
            Personally I have run into alot of interesting situations by the way I dress, it seems that putting on a nice pair of shoes, suit, bow-tie and fedora is more questionable in modern mindset than somebody dressed as Darth Vader playing the Viola. More times than I can count I have been asked by a complete stranger why I was dressed like a "Gangster" (I assumed it was my hat). Honestly I am tired of this connection people have with dressing nice. I am not particularly insulted when told I look like a gangster because in all honesty those guys were very well dressed, not to mention badasss to boot!
            Many people also do now know what a 3-piece suit is, quite simply it is a suit that has 3 parts; a Jacket, Vest and Trousers. A 2-piece has just the Jacket and Trousers, and a 4-piece is the same as a 3-piece but with an extra pair of Trousers ( it was common practice to sell an extra pair with a suit in and around 1900-1940
            The next concern that I have is that most men say they don't know how to dress up, and therefor do not. It is actually very simple, but take it in steps, it is best not to immediately jump from skate shoes, jeans and a hoodie to a full blown Morning Suit, including spats, cane and top hat. First I would recommend you look through some past decades in time at their fashion and see which one you like best, try adding some elements of that era to your attire, doesn't have to be big, maybe a hat, tie or jacket. Gradually you can add more and more elements in whatever way you see fit,  get creative!
             I highly recommend men open their minds to past fashion, be it 80's, Victorian, or Renaissance, whatever interests you the most.  

Cheers,
Mr. Speakeasy




http://www.revelinnewyork.com/sites/default/files/capone6.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Mr. Speakeasy - when you suggest men can borrow some looks from "the 80s" do you mean the 1980s or 1880s?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend the 1880's, but I did mean the 1980's in the post as this would be an easier transition between eras, due to the fact that frankly mens fashion has not changed much since then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As well, the 1880's falls into the Victorian period, which spanned from 1837-1901.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, you have pointed out some excellent points, I as well believe this is a very superb website. Valentino Rockrunner Trainers

    ReplyDelete