2.3.10

Purchases of the Day

            After a long week of learning, I like to do some "retail therapy" and take a trip downtown, and to my regular second-hand haunts. One of my favorite stores is a warehouse of vintage clothing called Value Village. More than often I manage to find some great items at killer prices. I can recall finding a 1900's Morning coat selling beside an ugly 80's double breasted suit, the suit was $60 and the coat was $10. Finding amazing bargains like this are part of the thrill of vintage shopping, I think i'm becoming addicted to it actually. I found some interesting items today; a bowtie, sweatervest, some groovy 60's jeans, and a very interesting overcoat. The bow-tie is nothing special, silk, adjustable, and self-tie (the way to wear a bow-tie) with a blue geometrical design on the fabric. Now usually I am not one for a busy pattern on ties, like the dots and checkers on modern ties. With that said though, there are always acceptions, while I find that the things that I dislike most in mens fashions can sometimes work in the right circumstance. Anyways, back to spoils of the day!
 
            In these two pictures im wearing all of my purchases together (sans 60's jeans), regarless if they work or not.
                                                 

           In the photos I put on just a plain pair of grey slacks and some boring oxford shoes, if I didn't feel so lazy or was actually going out, I would have put on my pair of 30's tweed trousers, some brown high lace-up boots (or button-up in a perfect world), and a brown flatcap/ fedora/ bowler. The sweatervest is a fairly new Eddie Bower product, so nothing special, it's the topcoat that is the main attraction! I fell in love with this coat the moment I saw its color, then I grabbed it and I fell in love with the fabric, then I saw the raglan shoulder construction ( that is just where the connection on the body to the sleeves points towards the collar instead of being a strait up-and-down cut like we see on the majority of modern coats) as well as the cuff. Finally I opened it up and saw that not only was it Harris Tweed, but an early W&J Wilson product! W&J Wilson is a very well known quality clothiers in the area that I live in, that has been in business for over 137 years. I sometimes venture in to the store and like what I see, but unfortunately their prices are a little out of my 
comfort zone.
            Anyways on a more playful note, here are the groovy 60's jeans that found. Usually I walk right past the polyester, denim, and corderoy, but i'm a sucker for stripes. The light and playful stripes in these funky flair jeans made me chuckle and smile (quickly making the man next to me uncomfortable). I knew I could find a chance to wear them.
            This coat has alot of potential, it can be dressy and casual, as well as good for both townwear or countrywear. The coat's rusty brown color is also good for all seasons, but since its only partially lined I don't believe it would be the warmest coat for the winter. And finally I will leave with more proof that good fashion isn't expensive, the tie was $2.99, the jeans were $9.99, and finally the coat was $5.99!!
Until next time,

Cheers, 
Mr.Speakeasy

1 comment:

  1. A very illustrative and informative post, Mr. Speakeasy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete